BOGAR SIDDHAR AND THE NAVAPASHANA MOORTHY OF LORD DHANDAYUTHAPANI

 



Written By: Mrs. Rani Pandian

Translated by: Mrs. Asha. J


The Bogar Maharishi’s samadhi shrine is located in the sacred Palani hills and attracts millions of people. Palani is an important pilgrimage place and is one of the six ‘Aaru Padai Veedus’ (army camps) of Lord Muruga during his battle against the Asura King Surapadman.

 Bogar Siddhar in his treatise ‘Sapta Kandam’ reveals that he was born in the lineage of Viswakarma (gold smiths) and was disciple of Kalanginathar and the grand disciple of Thirumoolar Siddhar. Describing his life to his disciple Pulipani Siddhar, he revealed that he had received initiation from his Guru Kalanginathar who taught him about all the sacred works (Sasthras), the great epics, Yoga and the method to attain liberation. He learnt Brahma Vidya (Wisdom of Ultimate Reality) from Sage Agasthiar. Bogar Siddhar had mastery over various fields some of which are: Medicine, Kayakalpam, Yoga, Mathematics, Astronomy, the Ashtama Siddhis and Alchemy. He is said to have mastered the sacred science of alchemy through Kundalini Yoga. He has written many books such as ‘Bogar 7000’,’Bogar Kalpam’, ‘700 Yogam’, ‘Bogar Nigandu and 17000 formula' which stand as a testimony to his vast mastery in many fields.



The idol of the Muruga at Palani, was created and consecrated by Bogar Siddhar along with other Siddhars out of an amalgam of nine poisons or Navapashanam and it became an eternal master medicine when mixed in a certain ratio.


The idol was created in consultation with Agasthiar Siddhar at Thanasiappan temple a place near Palani Hills. This was done with a view to ensure the well being of humanity during the difficult period of Kali Yuga where he foresaw the world being besieged by many dreadful diseases. It represents Lord Muruga in the form he assumed at Palani - that of a very young recluse, shorn of his locks and all his finery, dressed in no more than a loincloth and armed only with a staff – the dhandam, as Lord Dhandayuthapani. He awakens his devotees spiritually and leads them to the path of liberation.












It is important to understand the significance of the Navapashanam Moorthy created by Bogar Siddhar and I have tried to make a brief attempt at that in this article. 

(i) The idol of Lord Dhandayuthapani has been constructed and placed in a scientific way to directly absorb the rays of planet Mars. The preciseness of the idol’s alignment is nothing short of a miracle by itself. One can only imagine his knowledge of Astronomy, Mathematics and Physics to have correctly mapped the position of planet Mars without the use of any scientific equipment such as telescopes 6000 years ago!

(ii) To create a medicinal idol of Lord Dhandayuthapani which will heal even the most chronic of diseases, was done with infinite patience by Him and the blessings of Goddess Bhuvaneshwari. A group of Siddhars who worked along with Bogar Siddhar ground the Navapashanam (Nava=Nine, Pashanam =Poison) which was made out from a collection of 4,448 herbs (mooligai). They are Veeram, Pooram, Rasam, Jathilingam, Kandagam, Gauri Pasanam,Vellai Pasanam, Mridharsingh and Silasat. After the poisons were ground in 9 separate mortars they had to be bound by a catalyst before being cast in a mould. This is called ‘Kattudhal’ in Yoga Siddha Medicine. Bogar Siddhar has made use of two methods of casting which he learnt from Agasthiar Siddhar while making the idol. They are: (1) Uppu Kattu: where thousands of herbs, juices, salts (Uppu) and other chemical reactions are used. (2) Sunna Kattu or Oxidization.

(iii) Bogar and others Siddhars then decided that by using the milk and panchamritham (a sweet recipe) poured on the idol, one can extract the medicine from the idol. The milk and panchamritham then becomes the medicine to cure diseases.

(iv) Raakala Sandhanam is the sandalwood paste applied on the idol and left overnight. The properties of Navapashana are absorbed by this sandalwood and this sandalwood is offered as Prasad for the devotees. It serves as a panacea for many incurable diseases when consumed by the devotee as a medicine. 

(v) The "Koupeena Theertham" from the idol of Lord Murugan is the cure for all the chronic illnesses. Due to application of sandalwood paste the temperature of the Moorthy which absorbs the heat during the day cools and results in the perspiration of the Moorthy. The perspiration from the Moorthy is collected in the Koupeenam (loin cloth) and distributed to the devotees as theertham during early morning darshan. 

(vi) Vibuthi placed on the forehead of Lord Dhandayuthapani absorbs the medicinal properties of the Navapashana and this is offered to the devotees as prasad. 

After the installation, Bogar Siddhar continued to worship the Navapashana Moorthy by doing Abhisekham to it with milk and panchamritham. After a while, Bogar Siddhar constructed his own place of Samadhi and instructed his disciple Pulipani Siddhar to take care of the worship of Lord Muruga. 

He then went into a state of ‘Nirvikalpa Samadhi’ - the highest samadhi stage where the mind dissolves with Matter and Energy.It is said that there is a subterranean tunnel linking the shrine with the main sanctum of Lord Dhandayuthapani through which Bogar Siddhar is believed to go and worship the Moorthy of Lord Muruga during daily pooja. 

The entrance to his samadhi is a cave like structure, even now the worship of this great Siddhar is conducted at this entrance where he was last seen by his disciples at the Palani temple. 


 
Margatha Lingam at the Bogar Samadhi 


It is significant to note that the idols of Margatha Shiva Lingam and Goddess Bhuvaneshwari and Valampuri Sangu (Conch) are present at the Bogar Siddhar shrine.
 



My Experience at the Bogar Samadhi


Now, let me explain to you the experience that I had when I visited the Palani Hills during the month of August 2018. I felt my journey to Palani was so enthralling. I went to the hills and reverently prayed to Lord Murugan. I fully realized that there was a mesmerizing energy emanating from the Garba graha (main sanctum). After a wonderful darshan of Lord Dhandayuthapani, I came to the shrine of Bogar Siddhar.

I could sense a mystical energy which had a similar vibration to that of the Garba graha. The path to the cave where Bogar Siddhar Samadhi is present was closed down and I could see only see a hole which was circular in shape. I keenly wanted to meditate at the Samadhi shrine of Bogar Siddhar. I saw many devotees praying to Bogar Siddhar. My eyes and my mind were looking for a place to sit there. I found a corner for myself and sat down to meditate and closed my eyes. The Omkaram 'Om' rose from within me which I have never heard before. As my mind completely stilled because of it, my younger daughter came and sat next to me and asked me if it was time to leave. I closed my eyes and said “In two more minutes, dear”. After completing my meditation, I came out of the Bogar shrine and sat in the hallway with everyone.

I heard a person calling out from behind me, and I went towards him directly. He poured the Koupeena Theertham from the bottle into my hand for me to drink it. The very moment I drank it, the cry” Muruga!” broke out from deep within me. Everyone who was present there turned towards me. I found myself to be in a state of ecstasy and fervour. I called out to everyone to come towards me. I could sense a divine power working within me. I stated “The essence of Lord Muruga is within my very soul. I am an ordinary person; however, it is true that I have received Lord Muruga's grace! If you wish to receive blessings similar to mine please close your eyes for fifteen minutes and chant "Om Saravana Bhavaya Namaha" nine times”. The crowd gathered around me. The person who had earlier called out to me, looked like a priest (Gurukkal) and asked to me to remain silent and said that I have to receive more prasadam. After saying that, he took the Raakala Sandhanam and asked me to place it in my mouth and also gave a sanctified flower and Kungumum packet as Prasad from Goddess Bhuvaneshwari at the Bogar Siddhar Shrine. 


A question arose in me and I asked the priest, "Aiyaa, why did you call me specifically when there are so many people here?”. He replied politely that he is a part-time priest of the Bogar Siddhar Shrine. When he came out, he had heard my 'Om' sound as well and had noticed my daughter calling out to me at that time. Meanwhile, he had received divine instructions from his Gurunathar Bogar Siddhar to give the Koupeena Theertham and another Prasad to me. I felt amply blessed on hearing this. I do not know anyone at Palani Hills. The grace of Lord Muruga and the glory of Bogar Siddhar, cannot be explained in mere words. 

Om Saravana Bhavaya Namaha


References:

1. The Yoga of 18 Siddhas – An Anthology – by T.N. Ganapathy

2. Arulmigu Dhandayutha Swami Temple - www.palanimurugantemple.org

3. www.murugan.org

4. www.palanitemples.com 


To Know More: Website -  www.lionmayura.org

To Register: http://www.lionmayura.org/register.php

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/lionmayura

Instagram   https://www.instagram.com/lionmayura/

YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/LionMayuraRoyalKingdom

Twitter – https://twitter.com/LionMayura

Contact Us: Contact Person Mr. Baskar - +91 98849 58670











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF CHANTING OM SARAVANA BHAVAYA NAMAHA

SIGNIFICANCE OF KUMARI KANDAM IN THE NEW MURUGA YUGAM

LMRK Flag